Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Every Now and Then

Even though we're really close now, sometimes I worry that Jake and I will grow apart, just because we are so different. We have completely different ideologies, interests, and goals. We don't fight or argue, just sometimes I worry that we'll drift apart.

But then, on days like today, I know that we will be just fine--we will remain close and our bond will stay tight.

This morning, my car wouldn't start. After I arrived at work (thanks again, M!), I talked to my mom, had a breakdown, drank espresso, and then started on my day. I pushed the car--as well as the many (non-vehicle) troubles associated with it--into the corner of my mind so that I could function. Nothing reduces me to tears faster than a car malfunction.

This evening, when I got off work, I tried my car again, and it worked!! Woot! However, I was still a little worried about why it didn't start the first time, so I called the person that I know who is the most familiar with fixing cars: my brother, Jake. After the initial, "what went wrong/what did it sound like" discussion (after which, he determined that the starter relay was malfunctioning), the conversation went something like this:

Jake: Do you have a friend down there who is capable of fixing it?
Me: No, but I have a place I can take it to.
Jake: If you want to wait a few days, I'll fix it for you.
Me (knowing that he was getting ready to see a movie with Valerie): I don't really want to take a chance on it breaking down while I'm out and about...I wish you could come down here and fix it for me...
Jake: Me too, because I want it done right so that you're safe...Wait! You could come up tonight and just stay home for the rest of the week, because I miss you! Then, we could hang out and I could fix it for you!

Awwww! My brother is top notch. I kinda like the kid!

1 comment:

Cam said...

That is excellent! :)

When do I get to date him?

Kidding, kidding....