Monday, October 22, 2007

The Complexity of Simplicity

Who doesn't love fall break? It comes at the perfect time in the semester, and it is truly a lifesaver!

My fall break was amazing for several reasons, but really one aspect was my absolute favorite.

A little background: I live on the quiet end of the river, and we have a boat and three canoes. It is surrounded by trees and bluffs, and it is really a beautiful spot.

On Thursday, Sylvia (who came home with me, because we were going to stay with a friend in Columbia too) and I decided to take one of the canoes out on the water. We paddled out to the middle of the river and then just sat there. It was beautiful.

The water was clear and crisp. The wind was blowing through the trees causing the leaves to make that wonderful rustling sound that is so familiar to autumn. The sun was bright and beautiful. It's warmth was like caress on my face. The leaves on the trees were vibrant yellows, oranges, and reds. I could smell the fall air. It was the kind of day that makes a person fall in love with autumn all over again.

Usually, I am not thrilled when fall comes, because I know that it will soon be winter. Thursday was the perfect fall day.

Now to relate all of that to my title. It was such a simple activity, but it seriously had a huge impact on me. It was the first time in so long that I was completely relaxed. Now, I am looking for other simple things to do every day that can give me just five minutes of that bliss. Today I woke up and saw that it was rainy and cold. My initial thought was, "Today's gonna suck." But, it is the perfect day for a big mug of hot tea, and that makes me very happy.

It is so hard with our current lifestyles to find a time to relax and enjoy the simple things. I know that I'm going to make an effort to do it, though. It's not going to happen everyday, but I'm sure it will make me more productive and happier.

2 comments:

The Pain of Blossoming said...

I love this blog! It's so true. Life just gets so crazy that we forget to slow down every once and a while to get a glimpse of it before it passes it by. I'm a big fan of the little things. :) It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. It's by Rudyard Kipling: "Teach us delight in the simple things." Such a simple message, but so hard.

Anonymous said...

Hello, there! I think we might know each other, but I'm not sure. I found your blog through Latesa, and I really enjoy reading! You should update more often. :)