Thursday, October 11, 2007

If you're too open-minded, your brain will fall right out

In all honesty, I did not think I would be on this again so soon. However, I have recently been thinking that perhaps I am not passionate enough about some things.

Ok, to start at the beginning, I am currently in a situation where one of my friends (and roommate) has very definite ideas about how things should be. She is very strong in her faith, and she definitely has her opinions about what is right and what is wrong. She also (occasionally) tries to see the other side of the issue, but she does not understand why it does not align with her idea. While I respect some of those qualities, I find it difficult to talk with her about any subject, because it is so frustrating. I tend to play the devil's advocate, and she just does not even try to accept another point of view.

That being said, I am trying to figure out if I am doing the right thing in being so open-minded about things. I have no definite stance on really any subject. I can see both sides of the issue. Well, that's not true. For example, I'm against the death penalty, I am pro Gay rights. However, there are many more issues that I am really quite fuzzy about. Another example, I'm not pro-choice, but I'm also not pro-life. Now, those are definitely hot topics that many people are fuzzy on. What about faith?

I haven't decided. I have grown up Christian (Methodist), and I have been fairly happy with that up-bringing. I felt as though my faith was strong; I was always encouraged to have "an open heart, open mind, and open door" (which consequently, is the Methodist motto). That being said, I am not confident that Christianity is "the way." I think it works for me, but I'm not even sure about that.

Oh geez...I don't even know where to go from here. I guess that's all for now. I better stop before my brain falls out...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah...i tend to think lately that there have to be multiple ways to get to God. but then i shoo the thought away for fear of lightning bolts, thanks to the gospel of John...but i can't believe that, like, for example, the Jews murdered in the holocaust are burning in hell. idk.

i mean, shoot, look at my facebook religious belief statement, open-minded Christian. i've always been taught (baptist-style) that christianity cannot be open-minded. hmm...

The Pain of Blossoming said...

Personally, I think that being open-minded is good. But maybe, like you said, there is a point where you need to commit to your beliefs. I think the point you're at is an important step in becoming a mature and intellectual human being. Maybe once you figure things out and stop wandering around, your beliefs will later be much stronger. Just be patient. You'll figure it out some day.

蒜泥白肉Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.