Monday, March 16, 2009

Enveloped in the Fog of Apathy

For my Religion Senior Seminar, I just finished reading The Fall, by Albert Camus. It is a beautiful, poignant story that is at the same time bitter and depressing.

Lately, I am so disappointed in humanity. We go about our lives with blinders on. We live petty, material lives that [with some exceptions] amount to very little. We chase false hopes and dreams with the idea that they will fulfill us, and it is all in vain. Our lives are mechanical and meaningless. And, although we would like to say that if we were given another chance to save the woman who jumped from the bridge, we would be hypocrites.* We would end up turning and walking away, just like before.

In class tonight we talked about what we could do to help people care more about finding Truth, about helping people be less apathetic towards life and the beauty that the world holds. None of us had any solutions. We think the growing apathy is a generational thing.

Now, all of that depressing stuff being said, I am writing a paper about how to live a more meaningful, spiritual life. It is going well, and I really need to take some time to figure out how to bring meaning and spirituality in my life. I'm kind of excited about it; I'm not gonna lie. :-)


*reference to The Fall

1 comment:

meme marie said...

dear god this is depressing.
hahahaha.
i love you!