Monday, April 20, 2009

Into the Light of a Dark Black Night

Fly.

This Religion/Philosophy Senior Seminar class has given me soo much to think about, and now I have to formulate a "intellectual/spiritual autobiography" that is 12 pages long.

What do I say?

Before.

I held tightly to the Methodist faith for nineteen years, was an active leader in my church for 5-6 of those years, sang in the choir, played instruments, learned Bible stories, participated in youth group activities (hell, was the president of the youth group), acted as a liaison between the adult committees and the youth, blah, blah, blah.

Now.

I. Don't. Have. A. Clue.

Hahaha. I'm okay with not knowing. It gives me something to work towards.

It does make me think of a song by the Beatles:

Blackbird

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Black bird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.
Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,
You were only waiting for this moment to arise


When I do figure it out, it's going to be amazing and wondrous.

4 comments:

meme marie said...

:)
this is beautiful!
like you!
muahaha

Kassie said...

I love this. I wasn't very conflicted when I wrote my autobiography but I will tell you that my viewpoint on things is quite different from what it was then. Mostly I have a lot more question marks. I think that's all a part of growing up. The more questions we ask and try to answer the more questions come up. I don't think we'll ever truly know the nature of God or the universe, but there is beauty in the trying to know. It's important not to just take what's been handed to you at face value, but to dig in and get messy with the possibilities and questions. That's the only way we grow. At least, that's the only way I'm growing.

<3 you.

The Pain of Blossoming said...

I love that song! It's tied with Let it Be for my favorite song. I especially love it because it reminds me soooo much of Davita's Harp.

And I'm pretty sure that's how my spiritual autobiography went: 12 pages of me saying "I have no idea," while explaining the beliefs that had changed over the years. We don't need to have all the answers. What's important is that we keep asking questions.

lindsey said...

I spent those twelve pages saying "I have no idea" but I set it to Beatles songs. (This was before Esposito outlawed the CD accompaniment...she's missing out!)