Monday, April 6, 2009

There are Very Few Things that I Will Never Forgive

I think I've finally figured out why The Fall bothered me so much. Don't get me wrong--it was an excellent book, and the portrayal of the human condition was fairly accurate (if not totally cynical).

The narrator of the story, Jean-Baptiste Clamence draws you in completely--describing his past life as though since then he has had a dramatic change in his attitude and actions. All along, I was thinking, "okay, he was a drunkard, a womanizer, and a complete asshole, but he's going to change; yay for him."

Wrong.

He manipulated me.

I can't handle it when I'm being manipulated. It's the one thing that I cannot get over. Luckily, only one person has truly succeeded in doing it--but he will probably never be forgiven for it.

Ugh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a really strange case of deja vous while I was reading this. Funny...

lindsey said...

I hate that book. The only time in my life I've ever felt suicidal (granted it was only like 60 seconds) was because of that book.

Camus, you're on notice.