Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Castles Stand upon Pillars of Salt and Pillars of Sand

Today, I learned about the giant garbage patch that is in the Pacific Ocean. Basically, all of the plastic that people throw into the environment gets swept up in streams, rivers, and the ocean. Because of ocean currents, all of this trash gets trapped in specific areas--this particular one is between Hawaii and California. The amount of trash that has accumulated here is mind-blowing! Currently, it covers an area that is twice the size of Texas; in some places it is over 90 feet deep!

People need to start being more responsible. End of story. We need to stop being so wasteful, and we need to pick up after ourselves. Animals are dying because of our laziness. According to one study, whales have started contracting breast cancer (Yes. Breast cancer. In whales.), because they are taking in so much plastic when they feed. That's so sad!!

It's so frustrating to me that so many people do not recycle. Really. Why wouldn't you?!

Oh, and I found a song that completely and totally reminds me of Jean-Baptiste Clamance in The Fall (at least the Clamance in the middle of the book): "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay. Oh, how I love that song...

I didn't really want to be so down in this post...maybe it's the weather? I had a great day today with my lovely and wonderful mom (and the rest of my family). Now, I'm in the process of packing to move to our beautiful, new apartment!! Yay! Life really is good!

No comments: