Tuesday, January 6, 2009

3.14

I started Life of Pi today! I didn't get very far, but I'm enjoying it! Everyone should probably read it.

The main character in the book, Pi, is majoring in Religion and Zoology. He deals well with the various branches of religion, but he has a problem comprehending agnosticism. Anyway, here is a passage that struck a chord with me:

Doubt is useful for a while. We must all pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we. If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst out from the Cross, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' then surely we are also permitted doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

1 comment:

The Pain of Blossoming said...

I really like that quote. It speaks to where I'm at right now of sorts. I'm buying that book I just decided.